Valmont Bike Park celebrates one-year anniversary; New video showcases park (City press release)
The City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Department recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of the grand opening of Valmont Bike Park. The park, located at the corner of Valmont and Airport roads, is a 42-acre, natural-surface facility, recognized as the largest urban bike park open free to the public and offers multiple disciplines for all ages and abilities. The grand opening of Valmont Bike Park occurred on June 11, 2011, at which more than 2,500 children and adults enjoyed a ribbon-cutting ceremony, vendor expo, food, fun and rides on the many park amenities and features.
"We are proud to celebrate the one-year anniversary of such a unique and world-class park," said Kirk Kincannon, Parks and Recreation Department Director. "Over the past year, Valmont Bike Park has won attention from riders from all over the world for its quality of design, construction and innovative terrain park features. Our dedicated staff and volunteers work daily to ensure the best possible experience for riders of all ages and abilities."
Over the past year, Valmont Bike Park:
- served an estimated 50,000 riders from across the country and the globe, including Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, France, Sweden, Germany and the United Kingdom
- trained more than 100 Bike Park volunteers to serve as park hosts and assist City of Boulder staff in community service to the park and users
- coordinated with more than 600 volunteers serving over 2,000 hours of onsite assistance to benefit the park
- distributed more than 200 free helmets to youth and families
- provided programs, clinics and lessons to more than 350 cyclists from the beginner to expert skill level
- partnered with more than two dozen businesses, agencies and organizations to offer additional onsite and offsite services such as programs, demonstrations, food, lodging and support
- hosted various cycling events serving more than 2,000 participants and more than 3,000 daily spectators
- was named the host venue for the 2014 Cyclo-Cross Nationals.
"Valmont Bike Park is one of the most unique and diverse bike parks in the nation," said Michael Eubank, Valmont Bike Park Coordinator. "The park was uniquely designed for both public day-to-day recreational use, programming, special events and world-class races. Over the past year, we've achieved success in all of these areas due to the quality of the park's design, construction and onsite maintenance-not to mention the help from a number of volunteers, organizations and partners such as the Boulder Mountainbike Alliance, Boulder Community Hospital, Avid4 Adventure and Lee Likes Bikes, just to name a few."
A new "know before you go" video showcasing Valmont Bike Park was funded in part by the Boulder Community Hospital, filmed by the City of Boulder's Channel 8 and produced by local company OnSight Media. The video is available at https://vimeo.com/44254238.
For more information, visit www.ValmontBikePark.org or call Michael Eubank, Valmont Bike Park, at 303-413-7226.
Shelly Ruspakka, Parks and Recreation, 303-413-7214
Patrick von Keyserling, Media Relations, 303-441-4959